Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Story

Why do I design games and how did I get here?

Hello there! We have a whole new year ahead of us friends. The world did not end this time either but I am inclined to believe that the Mayans are the most successful trolls in recorded history. Anyways, back to the purpose of this post. Since it is the beginning of a new year I feel it is time for a little introspection. In this post I am going to explain and speak of my motivations for being a game designer, how I got here and what I ultimately aim to achieve.

I have always enjoyed games. Not only digital games, but also board games, pen and paper roleplaying and sports. When I was younger I played a lot of soccer, won the title of national champion in sharpshooting and I have dabbled in martial arts (aikido). To tell the truth I was not really into the whole digital games thing until I was around 12 (way back in -97) years old, that was when Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid were released for the PSX in Europe. I have been stuck among digital games since then. I rapidly expanded my collection of games among RTS, RPG, FPS and the adventure game genres. I remember some digital games fondly from my childhood and teenage years, including but not limited to:


This glorious game has been crowned best PC game ever several time, well deserved in my nostalgic opinion

I have never really had a favourite genre of platform. I feel that this is due to the fact that I have never been completely locked into only digital games, they have always been another game beside more physical gaming. 

This profound interest in gaming.is one of the core pillars that define me as a person. At first glance it might therefore not be a surprise that I entered the professional game development scene, but I assure you dear reader that it was quite unexpected. Until I noticed that the local university had an education in game design I was dead set on other possibilities, either joining the family business (fairs, sign making, screen printing and general visual communication) or going for military officer (I thoroughly enjoyed my military service). 

If it is one thing my close friends and family can safely say about me it is that I sometimes make decisions in the blink of an eye and stick with it through any hardship. Some might call this stubbornness and they would be somewhat correct. In reality this happens when something instantly just clicks with me, I know that this decisions is the right one, every single part of me is in total agreement and it shall be so. These decisions can range between something so mundane as to what pair of glasses to buy to what career I should dedicate my life towards. And so I noticed the education, made the decision and fought my way it despite not having the best grades and being denied entry after technical difficulties with the national university enrollment authorities. 

That is how I became a game designer and where I come from.

My constant goal when designing games is to create focused experiences for players, like the ones I had when I grew up and remember fondly. Those experiences can be anything from complete immersion into a fictional world to adrenaline pumping action to ghastly horror. The experience itself does not matter, nor does the platform via which the player partakes in the experience. What is important is the player and what they feel and learn when they play. 

I always strive towards designing a pure playing experience. A game is meant to do one thing and one thing only, games that try to do everything at once always stumble and fall short of their potential. This means that I always start with the player when designing a game: 
  • What do I want my player to experience?
  • What do I want my player to learn?
Only after answering these questions do I start designing game mechanics suited to the purpose.

My ultimate goal is to create experiences so intense, so immersive and interesting that players are changed after playing my game. I do not view games as art in their present state, with a few exceptions (Journey being the latest example), but I feel and believe that they have the potential to become art.

Journey, this three hour game leaves an impression that is still with me and probably will be for years to come.

I define art as something that makes you question and reevaluate current beliefs and aesthetic preferences. 

This is a lofty goal to be sure, bordering on delusions of grandeur, but in my mind it is the only meaningful way to design games. Entertainment is all well and good but entertainment with a deeper meaning (beyond making money) is even better and something I think we should all strive towards. I have no illusions that I am currently capable of reaching my goal, I am at the start of my career and I know that the road will be long and tough. But I also know that I am stubborn and will soon be skilled enough to see it through.

This is my story. Hopefully it gives you some insight into my view on game design, where I come from and where I am going. I can heartily recommend all of you to take a quick look inside yourselves, to summarize how you reached this point and where you are going. It gives you a singular purpose, ambition and something to strive towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment