Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Greetings!

Welcome to my humble abode!

Welcome stranger! Come on in, grab a cup of tea, sit down and let us speak about the wonders of games. Remember to take off your shoes since cleaning the rug is a great hassle involving several epic quests that will force me into interaction with the physical representation of people!

This blog will deal with all matters game related. Here I will write about design philosophies, review games and muse about my different projects. I, the gnome, will be your host and I would very much like for you to take part in the discussions by leaving a comment below. Interactivity is what games is about after all, and I would be a bad host if I did not want interaction to play a major part in our discussions. I guess we will see how that plays out.

Now you may be wondering: "who is this gnome and why does he assume that I would want to hear anything he has to say about games?"

The answer is quite simple. I have a university degree in computer games design and some actual experience of working in the games industry. I always try to look at games from an academic perspective through the lens of experience rather than get caught up in a hype or going with my gut feeling. This means that I will discuss the game phenomenon in a different manner from many others who write about games. For me games is a craft like any other. The only way to truly learn a craft is to live it, analyse it and figure out how it really works beneath the surface.

I am of the belief that there are no 100% correct answers just as I do not believe in right and wrong. I do however believe that every crafting method has its advantages and disadvantages and that what separates a novice from a master is knowledge about when to use what tool. 

I feel a pressing need to start from the beginning. After all, it is only good manners to provide the background of any matter that is to be discussed before said discussion. This principle is very clear in practiced law where evidence must be presented to all sides before the case is taken before the judge. All sides need to be informed of the facts, terms and purpose of the dealings so that all involved may take part in the discussion and make an informed decision based on facts in the end. The next entry will therefore be about what I believe games to be, what makes them interesting and most of all: what makes them fun?

So, if you are interested in taking part of a discussion aimed at analysing games on a deeper level than "fun lulz!" stop by from time to time or add this blog to your RSS feed. Hopefully we will all learn something along the way.

Since this is my first entry on a blog meant to increase the knowledge about games it would be rude of me to not point you in the general direction of another blog I find informative:
The Game Philosopher discusses how and why games are made. Tackling issues such as project management, social psychology and practical applications of the Myers-Briggs personality types within projects. 

/The gnome

No comments:

Post a Comment